HEE’s Advancing Dental Care (ADC) Education & Training Review was commissioned in 2017 to develop a dental education and training infrastructure that supplies a dental workforce with the skills to respond to the changing oral health needs of patients and services.
There are three Objectives
- Collate a robust evidence-base on the population’s oral health needs and model the most appropriate dental workforce for meeting those needs.
- Identify and evaluate new and existing innovative training approaches, and develop or upscale exemplars within funding envelope.
- Understand the CPD requirements of the existing workforce, and identify best practice.
The Review’s first phase concluded with the ADC Report, setting out 21 recommendations for further developing HEE’s evidence-base and understanding of the dental workforce required for the future NHS, with the aim of safeguarding dental workforce sustainability and supply.
Phase II of the Review aims to produce a robust evidence base, working with system partners, including NHS England and the GDC, to scope the population’s current and future oral health needs, and to model the most appropriate dental workforce for meeting those needs.
The strategic drivers are set out below:
Five work streams have been set up, meeting twice a year and the ADH already has representation on some of the committees:
- Dental Training: Portfolio careers, increasing flexibility and international comparison and best practice. Chaired by Malcolm Smith and Andrew Dickinson, ADH Representation TBC.
- Economics of Training: Modelling costs of training and providing cost of training data. Chaired by James Spencer, ADH Representation Eric Whaites.
- Workforce Intelligence – Population needs and change, training distribution, workforce data and NHS activity supporting patients. Chaired by Peter Brigg, ADH Representation TBC.
- Academic Strategy – Existing academic workforce, motivations and barriers to training and developing and promoting academic careers. Chaired by Jane Luker, ADH Representative Avril Macpherson
- Leadership and Development – Views of dentists and DCPs on leadership roles and abilities and need for further development. Chaired by John Darby, ADH Representation TBC.
For more information go to the HEE website.